It seems that the Public Works department has the same analysis of any pedestrian safety situation:
- We can't make cars wait too long at an intersection.
- We don't mark crosswalks unless it is at an intersection where the cars are already forced to stop by a traffic light or stop sign because:
- Drivers ignore the crosswalks.
- Drivers ignore the state law that requires them to stop for pedestrians at marked (or unmarked) crosswalks.
- We don't want to give pedestrians a false sense of security.